China raises Beijing storm death toll to 77 after public outcry over days-old tally
Published July 26, 2012
July 26, 2012: Commuters try to get on a bus on a flooded road following a heavy rain, in Tianjin, China. (AP)
BEIJING – Chinese authorities have raised Beijing storm’s death toll to 77 from 37 after the public questioned the days-old tally. Some residents even compiled their own totals in a reflection of deep mistrust of the government’s handling of the disaster.
The Beijing city government said 77 bodies had been found in the city as of Thursday. The government says 66 have been identified and five of them are local officials who died while helping disaster relief and rescue efforts.
Previously, no new death toll figures had been issued since Sunday, the day after Beijing’s biggest downpour in 61 years overwhelmed drainage systems, swamped downtown underpasses and sent flash floods roiling through the city’s outskirts.
Read more in “Fukushima; Nuclear Disaster on the Ring of Fire,” the only book published in English on this tragedy. See Strawberry Hill tabs at the top of this page.